BP, Baker Hughes, Spirit Energy and IMRANDD are just some of the companies that have made the shortlist of the 2020 AFBE-UK Scotland Diversity and Inclusion Awards.
AFBE-UK Scotland, a social enterprise dedicated to encouraging the next generation of engineers, has announced its awards night is due to take place at Aberdeen’s Ardoe House Hotel on Thursday, April 22 (2021). The organisation supports all young people, particularly those from BME (black and minority ethnic) backgrounds, through advisory events. Over the years, it has engaged with thousands of pupils, students and graduates through online seminars and face-to-face events in Aberdeen and Edinburgh.
Dr Ollie Folayan, chair of Aberdeen-based AFBE-UK Scotland, said: “There has been a high standard of entries which made it tough to choose an outright winner for each category. Everyone has done an incredible job this year, especially during these uncertain times. We are thoroughly looking forward to celebrating diversity and inclusion success stories in the energy and engineering sectors.”
The four categories for the awards are the Young BME Professional of the Year, Company of the Year, Outstanding Mentor of the Year and Young BME Leader of the Year. Colette Cohen OBE, CEO of the Oil and Gas Technology Centre, will be the keynote speaker at awards night. In addition, there will be a Special Appreciation Award made to an individual for their commitment to diversity and inclusion and supporting the next generation.
AFBE-UK Scotland is part of London-based AFBE-UK, which was formed in 2007.
Young BME Professional of the Year
- Vanessa Burton, Assistant Engineer at Mott MacDonald
- Mimi-Isabella Nwosu, Assistant Materials Engineer at Sir Robert McAlpine
- Thaddeus Anim-Soumah, Engineering Manager – Projects at Croda
Company of the Year
- Spirit Energy
- Baker Hughes
Outstanding Mentor of the Year
- Dr Philip Enegela, Materials & Corrosion Engineering SME at Ineos
- Susan Grayson, Director, Resourcing, Talent, D&I and L&D at Spirit Energy
- Helen West, Head of Operational Excellence at Thames Water
Young BME Leader of the Year
- Dr Ibiye Iyalla, Academic Strategic Lead at Robert Gordon University
- Lydia Balogun Wilson, Clair Ridge Operations Support Team Lead at BP
- Tony Fong, Engineering Manager at Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult
For more information about AFBE-UK Scotland, visit: